… is to promote justice and peace through education and action for social change by working with individuals and organizations in Topeka
The Topeka Center for Peace and Justice was awarded the Liberty Bell Award for 2022. The purpose of the Liberty Bell Award program is to recognize community service that has strengthened the American system of freedom under the law. Any individual who has rendered outstanding service to his/her community may be considered eligible. While all fields of endeavor are intended for inclusion, the award’s purpose is to accord public recognition to men and women, particularly non-lawyers, for outstanding service in one or more of these areas:
· Promoting a better understanding of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights;
· Encouraging greater respect for law and the courts;
· Stimulating a deeper sense of individual responsibility so that citizens recognize their duties as well as their rights;
· Contributing to the effective functioning of our institutions of governments; and
· Fostering a better understanding and appreciation of the rule of law.